Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Baseball bats - Ash vs. Maple?

On 23 Sep, 09:11, Stuart wrote:

The only reports I have heard of a cricket bat breaking were in more
recent times when they were trying out different materials and laminates.

18th century cricket bats used to be solid, triangular in section and
tapered. Bowlers bowled slowly underarm. All was good. As bowlers
speeded up and bowled overarm, these heavy bats could no longer be
swung easily enough to respond. Batsman sought a lighter, faster bat
and began to use a thinner and more "paddle shaped" bat, as today,
made of lighter timber like willow. However willow isn't strong enough
for this and they broke where the narrow handle broadened into the
blade. The fix was to insert a stronger cane handle into a vee slot in
the blade - which I believe to be a local invention (Sudbrook, by the
chap who was also chief engineer of the Severn Tunnel).