Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Machining HDPE question

On Sep 23, 4:14*pm, Wes wrote:
I need to machine some HDPE to hold a bunch of specialized tooling for automation cell at
work. *I need a 1.5D x 1.1 DP hole about 36 times. *I bought a 1 1/2" and 1 3/8" spade
drill like the one you would use a hand drill to drill through pine. *

A plunge router and a suitable circular jig would be my choice for
this.
Wood-cutting router bits are usually OK for plastic, but there are
specialty
sharpened ones available, too. Steel or carbide spiral upcut is
what I'd choose.

A spade bit will wander, doesn't self-feed at a reliable rate, and
isn't stellar
at chip clearance, either.