Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Machining HDPE question

Wes wrote:
I need to machine some HDPE to hold a bunch of specialized tooling
for automation cell at work. I need a 1.5D x 1.1 DP hole about 36
times. I bought a 1 1/2" and 1 3/8" spade drill like the one you
would use a hand drill to drill through pine.

My two thoughts were that the 1.5" one might do the job or the 1 3/8"
one would make me a nasty hole I'd hit with an offset boring head to
finish. The work will be done on a Bridgeport.

Thoughts, tips, tricks, warnings welcome.

Wes

Watch the rake on your cutting edge . If you allow the bit to self-feed ,
it will - all the way thru your stock . Cut the centering spur off the bit
and machine the cutting edge flat and square , it'll make a right purty hole
just a hair smaller than your cutter and a big pile of stringy shavings .
Don't try to clear the swarf until you're done cutting if you want to keep
your fingers . I use this stuff for one of the suspension system components
I make for the rubbermount Harley touring bikes .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist