Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Well pump comes on after only 2 gallons used???

millinghill wrote:
I measured several times and each time my water pump comes after LESS
than 2gallons are used in the house.

I have:

1hp jet pump
Bladder water tank Amtrol Model CM8003 (32gal, 15”dia, 46”high,
closest similar model specs on their website)
Well water is hard water.

The sweat line on outside of water tank is 1/3 of the way up the tank,
and the upper 2/3 of the tank sounds hollow, so I know there’s water/
air in it. Tank specs say air pressure in tank should be 30. I
measured 32 with tire gage, so kinda close. Pressure switch turns on
at 28psi, instantly jumps to 40 where it stays for about 10sec,
quickly rises (in less than 5sec) to 58 , then shuts off and instantly
drops to 50.

I’m guessing maybe the stub to the water tank might be mostly clogged
and that the tank is not acting like the reservoir it should be???
Opinions appreciated.

Check the small diameter line to the pressure switch...perhaps it's
where the problem is.

Otherwise, sounds like classic case of the waterlogged pressure tank.

32 gal isn't real big, a small change in pressure is a good volume.

I'd drain the tank and reset the pressure and see if the symptoms
improve....I'm betting they will.