Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Makita miter saw value

In article ,
Jules Richardson wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:02:30 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

Friend has an older Makita 10" miter chop saw. Not compound, not
sliding. Model is 2400B if that means anything to anyone. Says he'd be
happy to sell it to me but he has no idea of the value.

New Makita compound miter saws are going for $200, but despite the extra
feature I'm guessing they're not the same quality as this older saw.
Nothing on eBay right now for comparison, not even completed listings.

I'm thinking I'd be happy at $100, squeamish but satisfied at $150. What
say y'all?

Does it come with a bench/stand? I'd expect around $50 if not, maybe $80
if it does. I'm not sure how much prices vary from place to place, but up
here in the frozen north that'd be about the going rate.

The problem is that you're right, it was probably better quality - but
after having a few miles on it, it's not necessarily going to make better
cuts or last longer than a new $100 compound saw. I love old stuff, love
repairing it and keeping it going, and I'll pick old-but-better-quality
over new-but-crappy whenever I can - but things like bearings and pivots
and switches might be getting a little tired on an old saw, and
replacement parts aren't necessarily available to make it like-new again.

cheers

Jules

No stand. Wow, you really think only $50, huh? Well, I'm good at $100.
I'll see what he says. One very nice thing about this saw is that I know
its history quite well. Other than 30-40 weekend projects and an equal
number of 2-hour jobs, it's sat on the shelf for most of its life. Never
been left out in the rain in the bed of a pickup truck or sat around on
a jobsite to be abused by drunken gorillas. The production job I've used
it for is a precision one, and it's up to the task.