Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.hvac
David David is offline

Default Refrigerator not working again

"Steve" wrote in message

My work is aboard the International Space Station,
while yours is
rusting in moldy basements, and your industry has a
reputation worse
that TV repairmen used to.

I am not a rocket surgen, but my company has been working
for excellence for many years. I am *not*
"billy-joe-jim-bob". Yes there are a lot of hacks out
there, but there are some true professionals out there
too. I keep trying to help change the rep that HVAC
industry has, and raise the bar in my area. FWIW, my
company has all but stopped advertising in the yellow
pages, it doesn't need to. 90% of our new customers are
all from word of mouth referals.

Hello Steve,
It is fortunate for the HVAC industry that the general
public does not read the alt.hvac newsgroup. The regulars
there seem to know more about their reproductive organs and
lower digestive tract than anything about HVAC. I remember a
reply from a homeowner asking a question and the slew of BS
that came back was amazing. One memorable reply came from a
regular poster (pjm) that said this was group for
"professionals only" and homemoaners (sic) were not welcome
here. Well my sampling of "professionals" on that group does
not speak well of their competence and people skills. They
do not seem to realize that basic refrigeration and heating
is quite simple. The complexity comes from the newer
electronic controls and they know nothing about that other
than swap things until it works. A case in point was a
neighbor that called a professional because the blower motor
in the furnace had stopped working. The "pro" said the motor
controller was bad, the board was no longer available, so
both the motor and controller needed replacing for $800. The
neighbor is a bit of a handyman so I asked him to bring the
control board to my house and I would look it over. One look
and it was obvious that there was a bad solder joint on the
line input common mode choke coil and a bit of solder
restored it completely. I will bet not one in a hundred of
these "pros" even know what a common mode choke is.

David

David