Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Switch off at the socket?

Adrian wrote:
The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Well we have the biggest one right down here.

Sizewell B.
Often go swimming within a mile of it.

Very nice little power station.

Best place for a Nuke Darn Sarth would be Battersea.

Bearing in mind the amount of cooling water, here are not that many
places to put em.

Coastal sites or major rivers needed.

That means Severn or Thames typically.

There's plenty of other places dahn sarf for one. You could put one on
the Kent or Essex coast, for a start, and use the North Sea or English
Channel for cooling water. Mebbe, oooh, I dunno - Bradwell in Essex or
Dungeness in Kent?

I meant those were the only *river* sites.

There is a new set going in at Sizewell, in Suffolk. I think there is
one somewhere on the Thames estuary being proposed. Anglesea is on the
cards..presumably to serve Liverpool/Manchester.

Then there is one on the Severn proposed, for the S
Wales/Bristol/Midlands area. IIRC Hinckley B is still operational there.
Though at redued capacity pending final decisions on whether to close it
or refurbish it.

Arguable Tyneside needs one as well, to keep the lights on in all those
government offices..well, there's Hartlepool.

And something around the S Scottish are, which is probably served by
Cumbrian nukes at the moment.

here's a good map. Note the reactors 'just across the channel'

http://www.insc.anl.gov/pwrmaps/map/united_kingdom.php

Most of the new reactors proposed are unsurprsingly adjacent to old
reactors marked here. The reasons are eminently sound
- they already have grid feeds
- they already have access routes
- they already have secure sites
- they already have planning permission of a sort
- old decommissioned but still 'hot' reactors can be managed by the
newer reactor staff.
- skilled staff already exist in the area.

If all 16 sites got 3GW sets, we would entirely meet the current grid
needs for certainly base load, and a considerable amount more, at far
less cost and grid disruption and reliability than 'sustainable' energy.