Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default general question: mainboard caps

On Sep 21, 6:51*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:28:35 -0700 (PDT), Michael

wrote:
Ok, thanks to everyone who replied. *Seems doable... looks like I'm
going shopping for a vacuum desolderer.

While a proper vacuum desoldering station is nice, you can get away
with using a solder sucker.
http://www.amazon.com/SOLDER-SUCKER-DESOLDERING-DESOLDER-REMOVAL/dp/B...
It requires some practice at both using and cleaning. *I use one when
I'm too lazy to fire up the desoldering station.

Someone suggested using solder braid. *I disagree. *I've lifted so
many traces and pads from the board with solder braid, that I won't
use it unless I'm depserate.

Don't forget the stainless steel needle or pin for cleaning the hole.
# 831-336-2558
#http://802.11junk.com* * * * * * *
#http://www.LearnByDestroying.com* * * * * * * AE6KS

I'm with you on the braid but it _is_ good for cleaning surface mount
pads before installing the new component. A Metcal with an STTC-126
tip is about the best if you _don't_ have a vacuum desoldering
station. The small tip can fit partway into the hole after the
component is out and then you can use an old fashioned solder sucker
with excellent results.