Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default general question: mainboard caps

Michael wrote:

On Sep 22, 2:00 pm, "Daniel Mandic" wrote:
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

With any iron, a chisel tip, about
2mm - 2.5mm wide, works better than a conical tip, and tips are best
cleaned with curly brass hair or a damp paper towel, not a sponge.

A good watered sponge does work. Good condition solder-tip expected...

So many Tips and Tricks you gave, I don't think Michael will understand
the halve of it ;-)

--
Daniel Mandic

Dad always used a sponge (repaired TVs and radios decades ago) for
solder work. I prefer a used tissue personally. (A sponge is such a
waste.)

Then why is the industry standard for manufacturing? They can be
rinsed out and turned over. Even with heavy use, they have a long
life. Also, it is much easier to keep them damp that a dirty kleenex.
You do not want the sponge to be sopping wet, just damp enough to keep
it from burning. If it is too wet it can cause the iron plating to
crack, and cause the tip to have a very short life.

enough left over to pay them.