Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Mandic[_2_] Daniel Mandic[_2_] is offline

Default general question: mainboard caps

Michael wrote:

That reminds me... is it a good idea or a bad idea to solder the new
cap with normal (leaded) solder?

Mainboards, AFAIK, are soldered in an solder bath. I don't know the
temperature nor the solder-tin they use. Even that, I would have no
idea what to do with the data ;-)

I do by trying. Believing my skills (can excel to rubbish quality, if I
don't keep the pace regarding IT motherboards) might help.

But you can make some repairs if you dare, and save some money here and
there. (I am starting to rhyme in english... :-))

Keep an eye, as other posters said (take a lens for example!), for
solder- spots/patches/splotches, where they shouldn't be.

By the way. Power capacitors are, I would say, arranged to the bottom
side of the mainboard. The pins of the cap goes through the board.
I have had similar thoughts as you... 8layer, 4layer special
electronic, but, so long as I have had bringing back PC's, I am pretty
sure power caps are to be found on the bottom side (physically on the
top side, off course).

--
Daniel Mandic