Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default general question: mainboard caps

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:42:53 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

I noticed that one of the capacitor leads is connected to what looks
like a fat copper trace (ground?) The other lead seems soldered to
just a tiny little circle... if I hadn't looked closely, I might have
soldered it to ground by mistake too...

Some of the traces and pads are VERY close to nearby grounds and other
traces. Be careful and don't slop too much solder around when you
install the replacement cap.

I heard that the bulb doesn't work very well. My dad has one.

Steal the bulb, throw it away, and get him a solder sucker. Better
yet, steal just the teflon tip. It fits some solder suckers.

hey, I play the piano too! Trying to learn how to play George
Winston's piano solos... The Cradle is pretty straightforward, but, oh
man, his variations on the Carol of the Bells is extremely tough!

I can't read a note of music and scribble my own. My playing is awful
but given a few centuries practice, it might improve:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/music/
My Korg DDS-1 synthesizer slowly died over the last month and is
scattered in pieces all over the living room. I can't tell what
failed, but it's making strange noises and the LCD backlighting has
quit. Yet another project. Playing music is the only thing that
keeps me sane, which may explain this months rants on usenet.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D