Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Mandic[_2_] Daniel Mandic[_2_] is offline

Default general question: mainboard caps

Michael wrote:

Ok, thanks to everyone who replied. Seems doable... looks like I'm
going shopping for a vacuum desolderer.

Hi Michael!

Makes repair surely easier . It's always my advice, but I don't have
an desoldering-iron (vacuum) since then ;-). The 'right' stuff is
expensive....

I have done some boards, desoldering the failing condensators by
changing the soldering-iron from one pin to the other, pulling the
capacitor side (pin) by side (pin), out of its placement.
The new caps I pull into the same way....
Tin-solder I take only a tip..., just to have a better contact to the
origin tin-solder of the mainboard, which can be tricky and sticky :-(.

Some boards are easier, and you can desolder it with desoldering-lace
(flex, cord). Plus, that the standard (yours) tin-solder will be
adopted, too.

--
Daniel Mandic