Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Random thought: Right tilt vs left tilt

In article , "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
I strongly prefer a left tilt table saw as most do (except lefties I
suppose).I sometimes see right tilt saw for sale pretty cheap, like an
old unisaw for a few hun. What if you swaped the wires on the motor,
swaped the fence and ran the bitch from the other side? Could that be
done?

Five problems, two easy, two not, one in between..

Easy, part 1: the extension table's on the wrong side. You'll want to move it.

Easy, part 2: simply swapping the wires leading to an AC induction motor won't
make it run backward, since that reverses the polarity of both the rotor *and*
the stator. You'll need to open it up and swap the *internal* wiring. Not a
big deal, just be aware that you need to do that.

In between: where will you mount a splitter and guard?

Not easy, part 1: the elevation crank will be on the opposite side of the saw
from where you're standing.

Not easy, part 2: you won't have very much room for infeed, working from the
wrong side of the table, only a few inches. And I think that's enough to rule
the idea out.