Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing slates

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 18:55:17 +0100, Steven Campbell wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKcJW-t4Jkw says you just nail between
the 2 slates above the slate you have just replaced.

There isn't enough movement or space between the two slates in the
row above to get the head through the gap on this roof. You also have
to faff about putting a bit of flashing over the nail head and what
keeps that in place?

http://www.slateroofcentral.com/ also has some useful info.

US based and they appear to do things slighty differently. They
really don't like the strip of lead method, can't say I've ever had
snow, ice or things sliding down the roof open up any of the straps
on the roofs that haven't been redone here. Asthetically they are a
bit of eyesore and that site has introduced slate hooks which will be
far less obtrusive. I need some more slates so will see if the
builders merchant has some nail in slate hooks of the right length or
the black plastic strappy things.

--
Cheers
Dave.