Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Dang! More Fuel Cell information!

On 9/22/2010 12:36 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Sep 21, 2:41 pm, wrote:
On Sep 21, 1:24 pm, wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:10:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Sep 21, 12:59 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:42:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Sep 21, 12:32 pm, wrote:
Oh, this also lets the school function as an emergency shelter in case
the power grid fails? How much is THAT worth?

And it provides enough electricuty for 188 homes? That sure screws up
somebody's earlier post about how a system like this compares to his
home usuage! Only off by a factor of 187! LOL

http://www.ctcleanenergy.com/YourBus...CommercialInst...

Do you really believe that a elementary school uses the same amount of
electricity in a year that 188 homes do? What purpose do you think it
serves to post links to fluff pieces with no real hard data?

It is a high school, just for openers.

Clemente Leadership Academy
Thu, 2009-05-14 17:21 — admin Clemente Leadership Academy
K-8ElementaryMiddle Schools
360 Columbus Ave.
New Haven, CT 06519

Phone: 203-946-8886 or 203-946-8884
Fax: 203-946-6635

Grade Levels: K- 8
School Population: approx. 400
Hours: 8:35 AM- 2:50 PM

That was the school in the story you cited, was it not?

Nope. I did post that one as well, but that's not the one in this
thread.

Expected Annual Electricity Generation (kWh): 1,576,800

That is over one and a half million kilowatt/hours annually.

Hardly fluff, even if you can't get your puny mind around it.

I'll leave it for others to judge who has the puny mind.

I just did.

Meantime, a
link with some actual data to back up your claims would be a good
start.

Already supplied. Your failure to understand what you wer looking at
is not my responsibility. Once again, it's that puny mind of yours.- Hide quoted text -

Register this in your mind. A 200KW energy source is incapable of
supplying the realtime needs of 188 homes. I don't give a rat's ass
who makes that claim, it's simply untrue. Why do you think they put
a service capable of 48KW into a typical home today? That's right,
if you could do a bit of math, instead of relying on fluff, you'd see
that a 200amp service can supply 48KW of power to ONE home. If each
house had a mere 1KW load on at the same time, which is actually quite
modest, you're close to the maximum capacity of the fuel cell. Turn
on the AC and see what happens.

They get that number by assuming the fuel cell runs 24/7, producing a
lot of it's power in the middle of night, like 3AM when no one needs
it. Who uses NG to produce electric in the dead of night? Answer:
only a fool or someone who is enjoying a subsidy that someone else is
paying for. In the rest of the world, NG is used to meet PEAK
demand, not run 24/7.

Great post. Simple logic to de-bunk the "fuff piece".

More like 20 houses....maybe.

OP-

Unless fuel cell tech has made some great strides in the last 4 years
(last time I discussed fuel cells with the guys I know at NFCRC)
fuel cell capital costs are ~10x small (25 to 200 kw) microturbine
generators and they;re not exactly cheap.

cheers
Bob

Folks who actually design and manufacture fuel cells will tell you that
they are not yet economically ready for prime time. There are pretty
much two reasons why you would use them. One is you are building a
spacecraft and there is some reason you can't use a nuclear power
source. Two is you can get the government to pull the money out of the
pockets of others to subsidize your installation.