Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default Baseball bats - Ash vs. Maple?

On 09/22/2010 02:56 AM, Ross Hebeisen wrote:
I would think some good old **** elm aka american elm would make a
hellava bat. will not split very easy, it has stringy cross grain and
light weight. kinda like the olde **** elm club.

Perhaps, but I'd have to think by now that with the huge popularity of baseball that people
have experimented with bats made from almost every wood, but have rejected most species for
one reason or other. Going back (once again) to what I know, I can see many parallels
between baseball bats and drum sticks. You can make 20 pairs of identical drum sticks from
20 different types of wood, and they will all feel different in a drummer's hand. Some
won't hold up to the punishment for 5 minutes, some are way too heavy, some are too light,
and some are too rigid and transfer unwanted shock straight to your hands. Very few will
have just the right weight and feel, the right "resonance" and "flex", but when they do you
KNOW it. I'd have to think that experienced baseball players are just like any other expert
in their craft; they like to have just the right tool for the job.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.