Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old Copper Pipes

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:07:09 -0400, willshak
wrote:

hibb wrote the following:
On Sep 21, 4:14 pm, (Larry W) wrote:

In article ,hibb wrote:

Ooops forgot the link to the picture. This picture is posted through
"yousendit dot com" instead of FileAve that I used before that caused
some folks some concern about malware.

http://tinyurl.com/248evr8

Thanks, David

If that is just green discoloration on the surface of copper pipe, I
would not replace them. They have many years of life left.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

I didn't notice any soft spots that wanted to kink when I was pulling
them to the side to get to other things.

The green color is the natural patina of copper. If it was a sign of
trouble, the Statue of Liberty would need a new skin less than every
hundred years.

I was asking because these will be under the tub far enough that they
will be hard to get to if something happens. This is an upstairs
bathroom. but it won't be used much and I might even turn the water
off to the upstairs most of the time.

Thanks, David

What about the pipe at the bottom of the picture, below the cast iron
pipe?
And I'd be closely checking the quality/condition of the cast iron
pipe too. I've seen too many "weep" and let go. Many insurance
companies are not covering cast iron drainpipe any more on new
policies for that reason.