Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default general question: mainboard caps

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:28:35 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

Ok, thanks to everyone who replied. Seems doable... looks like I'm
going shopping for a vacuum desolderer.

While a proper vacuum desoldering station is nice, you can get away
with using a solder sucker.
http://www.amazon.com/SOLDER-SUCKER-DESOLDERING-DESOLDER-REMOVAL/dp/B0002Y8OPM
It requires some practice at both using and cleaning. I use one when
I'm too lazy to fire up the desoldering station.

Someone suggested using solder braid. I disagree. I've lifted so
many traces and pads from the board with solder braid, that I won't
use it unless I'm depserate.

Don't forget the stainless steel needle or pin for cleaning the hole.
# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS