Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Screwed up screw holes

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:47:43 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

More years ago than I can remember I came across a little kit for restoring
screw holes. It was particularly handy for moving a strike plate for a door
latch. The kit had a tapered bit to drill a hole that accepted a plug shaped
like the sharpened end of a pencil. (it also included a pencil shaped piece
of wood that could be sharpened in a pencil sharpener and used as a plug.)
I've lost it, looked in all the catalogs I have and am beginning to wonder
if I dreamed it.
Anyone familiar with the device?

Yeah, they were OK, but they didn't work any better than doweling.

I keep a length of 1/4" dowel in the truck and use that when I need to
repair a client jamb. 1/4" drill, spot of TiteBond II, tap it in,
flushcut it, drill a new screwhole, insert screw. 10 minutes for a
permanent, professional fix.

For those clients who wish me to think of them in a Chinese curse, I
keep a short length of 3/8" dowel in the truck, too.

They're the type who think "Maybe a couple thousand more revolutions
with my Crapsman drill and a 3" drywall screw will make it catch."

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.