Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx Zz Yzx is offline

Default Screwed up screw holes

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:47:43 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

More years ago than I can remember I came across a little kit for restoring
screw holes. It was particularly handy for moving a strike plate for a door
latch. The kit had a tapered bit to drill a hole that accepted a plug shaped
like the sharpened end of a pencil. (it also included a pencil shaped piece
of wood that could be sharpened in a pencil sharpener and used as a plug.)
I've lost it, looked in all the catalogs I have and am beginning to wonder
if I dreamed it.
Anyone familiar with the device?

Max

What's the advantage of the tapered hole/plug? Seems to me a straight
hole/plug would work as well or better. I ask in ernest.

-Zz