Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Screwed up screw holes

"Marty" wrote in message
On Sep 21, 3:47 pm, "Max" wrote:
More years ago than I can remember I came across a little kit for
restoring
screw holes. It was particularly handy for moving a strike plate for a
door
latch. The kit had a tapered bit to drill a hole that accepted a plug
shaped
like the sharpened end of a pencil. (it also included a pencil shaped
piece
of wood that could be sharpened in a pencil sharpener and used as a plug.)
I've lost it, looked in all the catalogs I have and am beginning to wonder
if I dreamed it.
Anyone familiar with the device?

Max

I've never seen that kit, but one can do pretty much the same thing by
drilling a hole with a brad point wood bit, and then gluing in a piece
of dowel.

Marty

You're right, of course, and I've thought of that, even used that but I'm
wondering if the kit is still available or if the market disappeared because
everyone thought like you and me.

Max