Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default general question: mainboard caps

Jeffrey Angus wrote in message
On 9/20/2010 2:52 PM, Michael wrote:
Hello,

I've got a couple of Intel boards (D865PERL) that have one bad
electrolytic capacitor each. One board stopped working; the other
still works, but has a bulging cap close to the CPU area. (Pics not
yet available.)

Is desoldering these caps straightforward? Any special precautions
multi-layered PCB traces? Any special gotchas to keep in mind
when ordering replacement caps from say Mouser?

I fully recapped a pair of Dell Optoplex GX-280 mother boards.
About 15 or so caps per board.

Using a vacuum desoldering tool is the best method, but you can
remove the caps but using a wide enough tip to hit both leads
at the same time, then go back and clean the solder out of the holes
with a piece of stainless steel like a dental pick. Melt, stuff,
let cool and remove.

On the caps look for "low esr" and 105C temperature range. I try to
buy Nichicon caps by default. At $1 or so apiece, it's not worth saving
a few cents to get a crap cap that won't last.

Jeff

If you can clamp to the cap and pull at the same time it helps, I use a
surgical instrument like arterial forceps but longer opening arms and full
gripping teeth (retraction clamp?).
For the cleaning out of holes I made up a set of needle probes from
different sized st/st sewing needles glued into ballpoint pen barrels or
into drilled dowel