Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best wood primer of old, unpainted dried out external woodenwindow sills?

stuart noble wrote:
On 20/09/2010 19:28, AL_n wrote:
stuart wrote in news:ufNlo.163911$Q_
2:

AFAIK you can only get a full cure by excluding air from the surface, so
maybe aly foil would work on a flat area, and be easy enough to remove.
I imagine the tacky bit must cure eventually, but probably not in a time
suited to a production line.

When I worked in GRP (quite a few years ago) we used to use the liquid
wax
additive and then, once cured, wash the surface wax off with ecetone, and
then roughen the surface to provide a key if we needed to apply oil based
or water based paint. However, for my window sill job, I guess an easy
solution would be to use a coloured resin topcoat (if I can grt hold of a
small amount of pigment and not have to buy a large container of it)...

Al

I would have thought white spirit could be used, assuming the additive
is some kind of mineral wax. If it was soluble in acetone I'm guessing
it wouldn't separate out and sit on the surface the way it does.

I once tried diluting a body filler with gelcoat resin to make it more
workable, and to give a longer open time. Can't remember what the
outcome was, but it should work in theory.

I laid up some GF stuff - very roughly using ordinary resin.

I juts sanded it, applied a further coat of resin, sanded that with wet
and dry, wiped it with acetone and sprayed car primer on it.

Nothing special, no tackiness, no problem.