Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default "Fat Cat" pool table dis-assembly?

"George" wrote in message
On 9/20/2010 12:01 PM, Joe J wrote:
We're moving and have a Fat Cat 8x4 ft pool table in the basement that I
would like to move. First, anybody know how to contact them? Internet
searching has been fruitless. I'm trying to find instructions on how to
disassemble it. The mover's opinion is that you have to tear off the
felt to get to the bolts holding the slate top in place. That just
doesn't seem right. Anyone have experience taking a pool table apart? I
can't find Fat Cat's web site but that is their manufacture name and
they've been around for years. Assembled weight is over 800lbs.
Thanks

I have seen a few assembled and the slate is in multiple pieces which need
to be shimmed and the joints need to be filled before the felt is
installed so it makes perfect sense that the felt must be removed to break
it down.

Two of the most important things I found to use were a 4' Metabo level, and
an aluminum extrusion that was about six feet, and
S-T-R-A-I-G-H-T! Makes the seam lines so they don't bump the ball, and are
invisible under the felt.

It was a little difficult, but just think ahead. Shimming was no problem.
Once you have the slate shimmed flat to the table, you can lift under the
table carriage for level. There IS a difference between flat and level, so
you have to be thinking on two planes when you're doing it. Start at the
high point and bring everything up.

I even made a special 4 x 4 and a 2 x 6 to use with my two ton bottle jack
to fine tune the level once in a while. Cut some round shims out of sheet
metal that fit under the bottom of the legs so they would not show, about
2.5" in diameter.

It is an interesting challenge for a DIY'er.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.