Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Favorite On-Topic Answers on RCM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 23:05:14 -0700, Winston
wrote:

On 9/19/2010 5:21 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

(...)

My favorites in chronological order:

P.S. A dishwasher, while a fine parts washer, is not perceived as such
by roughly half of the population. Strange but true.
Dave George 10/19/2007

Wrenches have a way of wandering off into those little wormholes that socks
go into. A wrench isn't any good sitting in your tool box
100 miles away when your on a ride, so your going to have to take
it out of the toolbox sooner or later, and when you do, if the little
******* sees an opportunity, it's gonna make a break for it.

I miss TV now and then. Usually just after I put a new scope on the rifle.
-
pyotr filipivich

The designer sat at his drafting board,
A wealth of knowledge in his head was stored.
Like "What can be done on a radial drill,
Or a turret lathe or a vertical mill?"
But above all things a knack he had,
For driving gentle machinists mad.
So he mused as he thoughtfully scratched his bean,
Just how can I make this thing hard to machine?
If I make this perfect body straight,
The job had ought to come out first rate.
But it would be so easy to turn and bore,
That it would never make the machinist sore.
So I'll put a compound taper there,
And a couple of angles to make them swear.
And brass would work for this little gear,
But it's too damned easy to work I fear.
So just to make the machinist squeal,
I'll have him mill it from tungsten steel.
And I'll put these holes that hold the cap,
Down underneath where they can't be tapped.
Now if they can make this, it'll just be luck,
Cause it can't be held by dog or chuck,
And it can't be planed and it can't be ground,
So I feel my design is unusually sound.
Then he shouted with glee, "Success at last!
This goddam thing can't even be cast!"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

The only credit I can take for the above comes from the fact that I
knew where I had stored this gem that was posted on RCM many years
ago. Unfortunately, I failed to store the name of the original
contributor.

--Winston

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada