Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Old power tools unused for years - what maintenance is needed?

wrote:
On Sep 19, 4:35 pm, dpb wrote:

Are the plug conductors supposed to be reddish brown? The saw runs
OK, but I can't in good conscience leave that arc-hazard on it.

Well, clean them up a little with some steel wool or similar and, unless
they are extremely bad shape, which I'd think highly unlikely unless
stored in salt-air environment or somesuch, again; "good-to-go"...

Same thing on the lubrication.

By this, do you mean lube should not be necessary unless I notice a
problem?

If they were sealed bearings and they're not obviously binding, I'd use
it and worry about replacing bearings when and if they fail--they're
just bearings, after all. If it predates sealed bearings (would have to
be quite old), then it will be obvious where it is expecting lubrication
on inspection.

The prime thing I do for stuff like that that I forgot to mention
previously is to take the air gun and blow them out as best as possible....

A little WD-40 or other light not-sticking lube on switches, blade guard
pivot point, etc., etc., etc., ... and generally they'll just pick up
where left off unless were weak already.