Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Old power tools unused for years - what maintenance is needed?

But for now, I went "shopping" in my Dad's garage, with his
enthusiastic encouragement. In the '60s and '70s he made some pretty
nice projects for the house, but he hasn't worked with power tools in
a while.

I found an orbital 1/2 sheet sander (chrome, of course) and a 6.5"
Skil saw. Both work, at least for the few seconds I tried them.

The sander has no visible defects, but I wonder if there's any
lubrication needed after possibly decades of disuse.

Depends on whether it was sealed bearings or not...if it works and
doesn't screech, go for it. There are similar tools of that age and
older of grandad's still here on the farm that get very intermittent use
also--generally never had a problem.

If it's really old, there may be indication of an oiling location or two...

The saw plate had a good bit of surface rust, but I managed to get it
pretty clean. The blade will of course have to be replaced. Same for
the power plug. But what else might I be looking at?

Why "of course"? It didn't get dull from not being used; any surface
rust will go away on the first cut or two.

Unless there's something wrong w/ the cordset...

Same thing on the lubrication.