Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old power tools unused for years - what maintenance is needed?

" wrote in news:31d17dea-35e5-4b35-
:

*snip*

The saw plate had a good bit of surface rust, but I managed to get it
pretty clean. The blade will of course have to be replaced. Same for
the power plug. But what else might I be looking at?

You may need to replace the switch. If you can see the contacts, look
for signs of degragation. If the switch is fussy, it may also be an
indicator the switch needs to be replaced. That contacts may need to be
cleaned, however, and one trick that sometimes work is just flipping the
switch on and off quite a few times. (Unplug the saw and just keep
flipping the switch.)

There may be internal lube on gears and the like. Some of it will set up
and instead of making parts move easily keep them from moving at all!
You may need to clean and replace the old lube. (Be sure you use the
proper replacement lube!)

Puckdropper