Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] g@risky-biz.com is offline

Default Old power tools unused for years - what maintenance is needed?

I'm a weekend home handyman, not a real woodworker. A long term health
issue has me reluctant to spend any more money than I have to. I
recently had two tools go bad: a palm sander and a circular saw.

The palm sander was just a matter of a wire nut that had come loose
inside (great connector choice in a unit whose raison d'etre is
VIBRATION, I might add), but putting the "one-way construction" back
together proved too much of a challenge. I threw it out.

The circular saw problem is the brushes, I believe, and I may try to
fix it.

But for now, I went "shopping" in my Dad's garage, with his
enthusiastic encouragement. In the '60s and '70s he made some pretty
nice projects for the house, but he hasn't worked with power tools in
a while.

I found an orbital 1/2 sheet sander (chrome, of course) and a 6.5"
Skil saw. Both work, at least for the few seconds I tried them.

The sander has no visible defects, but I wonder if there's any
lubrication needed after possibly decades of disuse.

The saw plate had a good bit of surface rust, but I managed to get it
pretty clean. The blade will of course have to be replaced. Same for
the power plug. But what else might I be looking at?