Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default X10 Issues - Motion Sensor Transmission Range, Dimmer Question, GFCI

On Sep 19, 8:53*am, wrote:
On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 21:16:35 -0700 (PDT), RickH wrote:

*snip

Not much cost difference either over X10, but you get what you pay for.

Really? *I have been using X10 since the 70's and have about 20
receivers on multiple house codes (various switches, modules, etc) and
5 transmitters (RF based as well as older controllers and computer
interfaces). *As others have said, I have done a lot of TLC to keep it
all going. *A few years ago, I invested in an XTB which worked
wonders.

When new ads arrive from Smarthome, I think about converting to
Insteon, but the cost is a major factor. *X10 devices are still
available in the $10 to $15 range while Insteon is usually $40 to $50.
That strikes me as a lot of cost difference. *(Although, converting
the 1970's X10 module price to today's dollars yields prices greater
than today's Insteon prices). *I may yet convert one of these days,
but with the XTB and a few filters in the system, the X10 system gets
the job done. *I might even consider spending the money to convert,
but how to I know Insteon won't go away tomorrow? *I took that risk
with X10 in the 70's and it clearly hasn't been a problem! *Will
Insteon still be around in 40 years? *I doubt it, but I would settle
for a guarantee of 10 years.

Sorry for the rambling response. *I started out to just disagree with
your "not much of a cost difference" statement.

You are comparing the China X10 prices. I avoid the China X10 stuff
and used the ACT models made in Indiana, they cost more but are
better. But I weened everything off X10 to Insteon with a
computerless 24/7 ISY controller:

http://www.smarthome.com/12231DB/ISY...and-PLM/p.aspx