Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making slots for table

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 06:08:40 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

We used to make waterbed frame pedestals in a factory here in Austin
(Climactic Bedding Enterprises circa 1974) using this method they were
about 11 " high but could easily be made higher.
We would simply dado on the flat using a radial arm saw, the extra
curved notch of the dado's end of cut was hidden by the mating piece
when the pedestal was assembled on site.
Since beds are installed on floors, there was no need for the ends of
the dado cuts to be accurate or squared off. It was an ingeniously
quick, strong and cheap solution for supporting a terrific amount of
weight over a floor
These pedestals were 1/2" particle board, 2 pieces running the length
of the bed, and 3 running the width. It sounds flimsy, but I had one
set up well over 10 years and it never failed. If a bed leaked though,
that's a different story.

Yeah, we had a king-sized water bed that used four 'X's made out of particle
board, one in each quadrant. Each side of the 'X' slot cut half way through,
so the pieces interlocked. It didn't look very sturdy but I never had a
problem with the base. The bladders, OTOH...