Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default 'elf & safety - TV tower style

In article , Tim Watts
scribeth thus
On 19/09/10 10:02, Lobster wrote:
On 19/09/2010 02:57, Pete Verdon wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
saying something like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htmC__eg8hc

**** that. Still, I'm glad that some were mad enough.

I agree the "button boy" part is a bit mental, but the rest of it really
isn't all that hard. What I hadn't appreciated at first was that they
have a line at waist height above the yards for the guys stood on them
to hold onto. That would actually work out quite comfy, compared to the
footropes which do my back in after a while (especially with novices
leaning backwards instead of forwards).

One of the links posted mentioned that the Shotley mast was only
compulsory as high as the crosstrees or "half moon" - going any higher
was volunteers only.

None of the videos I've seen show the button boy actually getting into
place; I can't imagine getting onto the top of something like that with
nothing above it to hold onto, and I'd be curious to see the technique.

It was reasonable clear in mine I thought (at 3'30")
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhj9WcdXMqo) - the process being made
somewhat more scary by being performed in discrete movements in time to
the music!

He's leaning on a pole!

Course like all these scary ascents and climbs and roads and walkways
slung across the side of a mountain .. but BIG respect for the brave
blokes who built them up there in the first place!..

They don't seem to get any recognition;!...
--
Tony Sayer