Posted to uk.d-i-y
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Best wood primer of old, unpainted dried out external wooden window sills?

stuart noble wrote in news:RRZko.39817
:

On reading the COSH data, maybe not, but then why the big plastic cap on
the can? That usually contains the hardener IME.
Can't vouch for it if it's not 2 part but maybe it works well enough
with an acetone solvent

I think the large plastic cap is simply so that you can dip a brush onto
it, as the can iteself, probably has a small screw cap. I think it's the
wood *filler* that is 2-part and has a tube of hardener with it.

There may have been some confusion between the catalysing filler
"hardener" and the (one-part) wood "hardener".

Incidentally, I once used liquid wood hardener on some window frames that
had started to rot (after removing all of the loose/soft wet rot. The kit
also contained wood preservative pellets that were inserted into the wood
after drilling holes. I did the job very carefully, according to
instructions. It may have delayed the continuation of the spread of the rot
very very slightly, but it by no means halted it, and the rot was back with
a vengeance before one year had passed. Perhaps that's why they no longer
sell those kits...

Al