Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default X10 Issues - Motion Sensor Transmission Range, Dimmer Question,GFCI

On 9/18/2010 5:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I installed some X10 components today and have some issues.

First, it's interesting that the specs for the MS16A Wireless Motion
Sensor given on the X10 site make no mention of the transmission
range. Wouldn't you think that that is a pretty important number to
know?

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ms16a.htm

However, you can find them here and they state the transmission range
is 100'.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/MS16A

Using the test buttons on the sensor, I can trigger an RR501 receiver
consistently within 40', intermittently within 40' - 50' and not at
all above 50' - and that's with nothing obstructing the line of site
between the two units.

Put a garage wall between them, and I'm limited to a max of about 25',
less than 15' in some locations.

Those receivers are pretty much a novelty item. I responded in your
earlier thread that I experienced the same thing. I installed the
extended range receiver or whatever it is called and it can hear the
little key fob unit from 250' away.

I've tried 2 different MS16A units and 2 different RR501's and got the
same results. Yes, they were brand new batteries. I even tested them
to eliminate the batteries as the problem.

See above.

Next issue: When using the dimmer feature of the WS4777 3-way switch
or WS467 single switch, the bulbs do not dim to nothing. You can still
see the light in a 65W outdoor spot even when the sun is up. I don't
know how often I'd want to dim them to nothing, but I'm just wondering
if that is normal.

Lastly (for now) I seemed to get inconsistant operation of the system
when the RR501 were plugged into GFCI outlets. They seemed to work
about 90% of the time, but every now and then the test buttons on the
sensors wouldn't do anything even if I was standing right in front of
the RR501. If I move the RR501 to a standard receptacle it starts
working again. I tried two different GFCI's and got the same result.
What's up with that?

If this is normal operation, then I'm going to be very limited as to
where I place my sensors since I appear to be restricted by both
distance and receptacle type.

My new toys aren't making me happy!