Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default There's light left in them thar bulbs!

On Sep 18, 4:02*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On Sep 18, 12:02*am, harry wrote:

On Sep 18, 2:24*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

"Representatives Joe Barton, Michael Burgess, and Marsha Blackburn have just
introduced the Better Use of Light Bulbs Act (or BULB). The legislation
would repeal the de facto ban on the incandescent light bulb contained in
Subtitle B of Title III of the Energy Independence and Security Act of
2007."

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../09/027238.php

Americans need to embrace new technology instead of always resisting
it. You should donate your incandescent lamps to the nearest Amish
family you know.
Jobs lost are all down to the fake capitalism practised not only on
America but throughout the world. China in this case, which provides
products at ridiculously cheap prices from it's slave labour
factories.
It's all about destroying the economy of the West. *Tax barriers need
to be eracted until they let their currency float.

Your “embrace of new technology” is like embracing Santa Claus. New
flash Santa Claus doesn’t exist.
It really amuses me when people who don’t have the slightest
understanding of technology advocate their hair-brained idiotic
environmentalist ideas without doing any research, without
understanding the economics and consequences of the benefits versus
drawbacks or losses. They have a childishly naïve understanding of
technology. They are incapable of comprehending that we simply DO NOT
yet have the technology to accomplish what they want. Take these so
called “eco bulbs” for instance.
1. Have you really done the HONEST research into their longevity. I
don’t think so. They never last as long as what the package says.
2. Have you done the HONEST research as to the harm that is inflicted
on the environment in manufacturing and disposal versus the benefits
when compared to the manufacturing harm and disposal of incandescent
bulbs? They contain mercury as an example.
3. Have you done the HONEST research if these light bulbs will be able
to replace the incandescent in every application, in every fixture, in
every circumstance. Sometimes they fall apart in your hand while
you’re trying to screw them into the socket and you can’t use a dimmer
with them are some examples.
4. Have you done the HONEST research into the economics of cost of the
light bulb versus the savings? Anything other than an 8 watt bulb
which is about as effective as the light bulb in your oven costs at
least seven dollars. How much in electricity will I be saving if I
paid so much for it?
5. They will not fit into many fixtures designed for incandescent
bulbs so you have to buy whole new fixtures. Have you done the HONEST
research as to how much the environment is going to be harmed by the
manufacture and replacement of all those light fixtures so they can
use these idiotic bulbs?- Hide quoted text -

I have some CFLs in my house ten yars old. If you need to check their
life write the date on the bulb when you put it in.
I have never hada prblem fitting CFL into any light fitting.
They are all taken to the recycle centre in Europe on failure and the
mercury is recovered. as is virtually every piece of manufactured
equipment. Our local recycle center has more than forty containers
fordifferent stuff to be recycled.