Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default Hey Don, CZ75 Compact .40 SW

I would suggest practice with focus on muzzle control in rapid fire
for at least 100 rounds. You're not shooting bullseye, you're
striving to keep your fire into COM of a silhouette at 7 to 10 yards.
Increase rate of fire as aggressively as you can while still keeping
most hits within COM, focussing on MUZZLE CONTROL for that session.

Unlike bullseye target shooting: adopt a stance with feet on a line
perpendicular to line of fire, lock your elbows, and grip that pistol
like you intend to emboss the grip pattern in your hands and your
fingerprints into the grip. Grip it like you would the pencil neck of
the rat-******* that's been boinking your wife while you were at work.
Don't even worry unduly about the sights, which you probably won't see
in a chitte sit anyway. Point and deliver rapid fire with focus on
keeping that muzzle on target rapidly shredding COM.

If you do this right, you'll be a bit sweaty and a little stiff after
100 to 150 rounds in under an hour -- but you'll be grinning.

I am a 5'7" cardiac senior of 68 years, can empty my Colt Officer's
1911 (smaller and lighter than a fullsized 1911) in a couple of
seconds with every round hitting COM at 21 feet. I can also do that
with my XD .40, which holds more ammo. I don't get one ragged hole in
a bullseye, but I do put most of them into max score COM of an LTR II
silhouette at 21 feet. You, being younger and probably bigger and
stronger, can very likely do better.

It's just a matter of disciplined practice, and it doesn't take that
much if you're disciplined about it -- as opposed to the jokers that
fire as rapidly as they can without regard to control and entirely
miss the paper with some or most of their fire.

You're talking about one kind of shooting. I was talking about the
overall strengths and weaknesses of each gun. Yes, you can point shoot
both of them from short range and dump a mag into the target in a very
short time span. I find that I rarely practice like that though, myself.
I just don't see myself in that kind of scenario so I don't practice it
much.

I have found that the best stance for me is the old isosceles. Used to
use a Weaver but dumped it and went back to the old style, which has
come back in vogue these days. I shoot quite a bit at 50 feet as well as
at 21. I practice a lot too. I shoot every week and have for probably a
decade so I'm pretty handy now. I'm also 6'1" and go around 250 lbs. and
lift weights a lot so there aren't really any handguns that are any
trouble for me. It's all just a matter of practice. I think my biggest
problem is that I like all of them and shoot a lot of guns, which some
people may see as a negative. You know the idea of having one gun means
you're really good with it? Well, I shoot everything from a .22 to a 9mm
to a .38 spl. to a .45 every time out. I like both revolvers and semi
autos. I guess shooting a variety of guns like I do might mean you never
get that good with any of them but I shoot them all every week and so I
find them completely interchangeable. I go from a .38 caliber revolver
to a .45 caliber 1911 and back without a hitch. So for me I don't have a
favorite. They all work for me. But then shooting is my hobby so that is
what you would expect, right? I do really like those CZs though. I have
a set of custom made Hakan exotic wood grips on my compact model 75 that
really make that gun look good. No .40s though!

Hawke