Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Sorta OT, input voltage for LED light source question

Bought an LED ring light for my B&L microscope, a great investment!

Looking at the large ID of this, I realized I could easily poke the lens
of my Minolta Z6 through the center. I have in fact, an adapter tube for
this camera allowing me to use my collection of 52mm filters.
I'm making an adapter to mount the LED ring light to this adapter tube.
For most uses, I would just use the wall wart power supply. However it
might be interesting to take shots outside with this setup. The power
supply is a 12v 500mA.

Remote garage door openers use a small 12v battery, and there might be
other compact 12v batteries, but I was wondering if it's possible to run
this off a 9v battery? Of course, I'm not worried about getting hours
and hours of use out of a battery. It would just be nice to be able to
take a few shots away from an outlet, and a small battery I could rubber
band to the light right would be great. I am interested in trying to use
a 9v battery because they are more widely available than the small 12v
batteries. But don't know enough to know if the lower voltage might
somehow damage the circuitry. Anyone venture an answer?

Thanks,

Jon