Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default CPVC/PVC plumbing questions

P.S. I just found the 2009 UPC online and it appears to be the same as the
2009 IRC regarding types of piping allowed for water distribution within a
dwelling (that is, CPVC is okay, PVC is not). Here is the link:

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...-P-2009-000019

RogerT wrote:
HerHusband wrote:

After reading the replies to my post, I had to look it up in my old
"Code Check Plumbing" manual (I recommend you get the latest release
of this reference book!).

PVC is permitted for "Service" lines (underground supply coming into
the house), but NOT for interior distribution.

CPVC is allowed for all situations.

My Code Check book is a few years old now, but the codes referenced

[IRC T2904.4.1] and (UPC 604.1)

I also found a few discussions mentioning this limitation with a
quick Google search:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f22/cpvc-and-pvc-16677/

http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum...-pvc-pipe.html

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f22/pvc-pipe-12663/

Anthony,

Thanks so much. That is VERY interesting information.

I checked out the 3 links you provided and I did more searching for
the actual codes. It looks like you are absolutely correct -- PVC is
allowed for water supply --, but for water distribution WITHIN a
dwelling unit, PVC is not allowed. From the links you provided, it
appears that PVC for cold water distribution within a dwelling unit
used to be allowed but now is no longer allowed.

I looked up the 2009 IRC online and here are 5 links to the actual
code:

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...005_par007.htm

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...005_par010.htm

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...005_par017.htm

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...005_par018.htm

http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...005_par035.htm

One caveat is that this 2009 IRC says it is for One and Two-Family
residential dwellings. Mine is a 3-Family. I haven't found a
specific code yet for that, but my hunch (hope) is that using all
CPVC for what I am doing will be okay.

I also haven't found the exact UPC 604.1 online yet, but one of the
links you provided quoted from that and it said the same thing about
CPVC being okay and PVC not being okay for water distribution within
a dwelling unit.
So, I'll still be doing some more checking online, but I can see for
now that using PVC will not be allowable for the water distribution
system.