Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair

Default Opened laptop battery to replace lithium ion cells (Lenovo X61tablet PC) -- Where do I get replacement battery cells?

On Sep 17, 7:08*am, ransley wrote:
On Sep 16, 11:40*pm, "Michael Kennedy" mike@com wrote:

"JoeSchmoe" wrote in message

Have you ever opened up your laptop battery to replace the lithium ion
cells inside (if so, I could use the help as I'm stuck).

Here are the pictures of the operation on a Lenovo X61 tablet PC 8-cell
4500 amp-hour battery kidney-transplant operation.

The outside of the IBM Lenovo X61 tablet PC battery pack has the part
numbers:
- FRU 42T4507
- ASM 42T5209

And the batteries themselves, seem to have numbers on them of:
- cylinders BCM 3A6 72653
- rectangles C 3 171353

Any idea where to obtain these lithium ion replacement batteries?

Right off I am not familar with your bateries, although my guess(tm) is that
you can find them on ebay or google if you search for lithium ion cells..
Some come with tabs welded to them so you can solder them togeather eaisly
and avoid destroying the battery via heat. If they are the right size and
right chemestry they should work. The mAh rating will probably be higher on
new batteries than the originals becuase of advancements in battery
technology.

Just be careful and dont get these things too hot while soldering. They have
been known to burst into flames like a flare. I highly suggest you buy the
tabbed verison.

Mike- Hide quoted text -

Ive made packs with tabs and the batteries were real hot when
soldering, the tab transfers heat and soldering is tricky. Mine were a
mess and would never fit back into a plastic case, freezing the cell
first in your deep freeze will help but I think he will fail for
several reasons.- Hide quoted text -

I just rebuilt a Nicad battery pack for my 20+ year old Milwaukee
cordless driver drill. I found the batteries on Ebay for $21, so
decided it was worth a try. I was successful and it's working
great. But I do agree there are some real issues. In particular, I
was very lucky that I got it to fit back into the battery housing.
In the factory, the metal tab conductors are spot welded directly to
the batteries and go from one to the next. When you DIY, you have to
solder them and then when you stack batteries on top of each other the
overall height increases. I got lucky because there was a rubber
cushion on the bottom which I removed to give me just a little more
room. Having been through it once, next time I could plan better to
possibly change the wire routing to avoid any solder bump issues.

It was also a bit tricky because the batteries had some charge in
them, so I had to be careful of what I was doing and not short them
out and have a meltdown.

In the case of a laptop battery pack I'd carefully weigh the cost of
trying and failing vs the cost of a new battery pack. Also, I found
places that will rebuild your battery pack for you for the cordless
drills. Similar may exist for the notebook battery. However, the
pricing for the rebuild was so close to the price of a new battery
pack that I would have gone with the new one.

I have an older Gateway notebook and after having bought one
replacement battery for it, I finally gave up. I realized that 99%
of the time, the way I'm using it, I have power available. I may take
it on a trip, but I don't use it on the plane, etc.