Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Split Receptacle GFI outlet. Do they exist?

On Sep 16, 10:50*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 9/16/2010 9:20 PM, The Henchman wrote:

"The Henchman" wrote in message
Got a 15 amp split receptable mounted on a studded basement wall for a
washing machine and gas dryer. I want to install a laundry tub about 4
feet away. Code here says that outlet has go to be gfci (1.5 metres or
about 4.5 feet from the "sink") but I cannot find any 15 amp split
receptacle gfi outlets. The wire is 14/3 so I can't do like the
kitchen 20 amp near the sinks...

are there 15 amp gfi split receptacle outlets? I see none available in
my juistiction (ontario)... Is this because it has to be gfi at the
breaker and not allowed at the outlet?

Moot point I just found out. Ge Appliances of Canada answered my email
in 35 minutes time about the use of GFI/GFCI for their gas dryer. They
do NOT recommend any of their large appliances, esp gas stoves, gas
ranges and gas dryers be used with gfi because the igniters in these
appliances will always have a small "leak to ground" that will trip the
gfi. In their email they also included water softeners, microwaves and
teevee monitors not be connected to gfi.

so much for all of our ideas. Sorry for getting everyone all worked
up on my question....

actually, anything with a motor should not be plugged into a gfci.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

The NEC specifically calls for pool pump motors to be GFCI protected.
Some of those are used on cords/plugs to facilitate easy removal.