Posted to alt.home.repair
The Henchman[_6_] The Henchman[_6_] is offline

Default Split Receptacle GFI outlet. Do they exist?

On 2010-09-17, Steve Barker wrote:

actually, anything with a motor should not be plugged into a gfci.

Outdated conventional wisdom.

Current version: motor appliance manufacturers need to build their
motors so that the leakage current is low enough not to trip a 5ma
GFCI. I think the UL standard may be 0.5ma allowable leakage current,
not sure.

Cheers, Wayne

GE's email response seem to focus on the gas igniters of their appliance
more than anything maybe maybe that's because they custom answered my
question.

Here's a question for you. I have a 15 amp outdoor gfi outlet that I want
to use power tools on such as 13 amp table saws and 15 cicrular saws and the
like. what potential leak to ground can be from those motors?