Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem.electrochem.battery,sci.electronics.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Opened laptop battery to replace lithium ion cells (Lenovo X61tablet PC) -- Where do I get replacement battery cells?

On Sep 16, 7:38*pm, JoeSchmoe wrote:
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 00:32:57 +0000, JoeSchmoe wrote:
The outside of the IBM Lenovo X61 tablet PC battery pack has the part
numbers: FRU 42T4507, ASM 42T5209

And the batteries themselves, seem to have numbers on them of: -
cylinders BCM 3A6 72653, rectangles C 3 171353

Any idea where to obtain these lithium ion replacement batteries?

Here is a pictorial tutorial, of sorts, for the first half of the Lenovo
X61 tablet PC laptop battery replacement.
0. Short:http://yfrog.com/4ylenovox61tlaptopbatteryjx
1. Direct:http://img178.imageshack.us/g/lenovo...opbattery.jpg/
(the closing slash is required!)
2. Player:http://img178.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?
id=lenovox61tlaptopbattery.jpg

That tutorial has 18 pictures showing all the steps in breaking open the
dead Lenovo laptop battery pack seamlessly and easily.

The problem now is finding the batteries from the numbers on the
batteries and soldering them back in w/o destroying them.

Any advice/help if you've done this before, is much appreciated!

I think its a waste of time and risky, those are machine welded, you
will never get them as compact and fit back in place like machine made
packs, soldering and the heat degrades cells, you probably have
electronics in those packs which actualy may be bad , not the
batteries, did you test the voltage of each cell to see if they realy
dont charge , you might buy and solder them up and they will never fit
back in the holder.