Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Easy to replace fuses in the 50 to 500 amps range - suggestions?

On 16 Sep, 14:37, wrote:
harry wrote:

That's just a switch, it's not difficult to buy battery isolation
switches to do the same and they don't cost more than £200 like the
one above! *I can see good reasons for using something like the one
above in motorsport and similar applications but it really isn't that
necessary on a boat as long as you have a readily accessible
mechanical switch.

--
Chris Green- Hide quoted text -

A switch and an isolator are not the same thing. *Isolators are meant
to be opened under no-load conditions.
They won't last long used as switches which will interrupt their rated
current.

True, I was just meaning that it isn't an overload protection device.

It's not actually clear whether the device in question is intended to
*switch* the current or not. *Given that it's a solid state device it
might actually be able to switch while on load without much distress.

--
Chris Green- Hide quoted text -

A solid state device is not an isolator. The circuit has to be
phyisically broken in both poles to be considered to be isolated.