Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default Carrier/Bryant heat exchanger class action

In article , ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) writes:

| I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting service under this
| class action settlement. I have a 350MAV060120 AAKA furnace which
| started giving problems in early spring. It came with a lifetime
| parts warranty on the heat exchangers and my understanding is that
| this settlement added a 20 year labor warranty. My service tech
| had a fairly simple (~3 page) form to fill out with the results of
| some tests (e.g., CO in the exhaust was off the scale) and I thought
| this would be simple, but he has been going round with Bryant for
| months now with no useful results. (Oddly they did not ask for
| the pressure drop across the heat exchanger--it's about double the
| nominal value.)
|
| The last thing he said they sent was a new 17 page form that also
| requests pictures (requiring the furnace to be disassembled before
| they will send a replacement). He says they also say that if when
| they get the heat exchanger back it does not have the type of failure
| discussed in the settlement it will not be covered. They aren't talking
| about covering labor either.
|
| Seems to me that Bryant is trying to use the class action settlement to
| narrow rather than expand the coverage. Obviously the original lifetime
| warranty wasn't restricted to failures contemplated by the later class
| action.

[following up to my own posting]

Just in case anyone else is having similar problems...

Bryant is now satisfied with the paperwork (or, more accurately, say
that they don't need more paperwork until after the job is done), but
the parts currently do not exist. The parts will have to be produced
at the "factory" and this cannot be started until at least the end of
September, with no commitment to a ship date. As it is beginning to get
chilly at night my service company suggests that I would be better off
buying a new furnace. I'm sure Bryant agrees...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com