Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Toilet clog problem

On Sep 16, 4:32*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:09:42 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Sep 16, 11:46*am, Daniel Prince wrote:
My toilet has been plugging up a lot recently. *I do not think it is
the trap in the toilet because when I put a toilet auger down the
toilet, it did not hit the clog until it was about 26 inches down.

Is there a SeeSnake type inspection camera that is flexible enough
to go through a toilet trap? *Is there anything else I can do to
identify the problem? *Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,

Before you do anything removing the toilet, make sure the siphon jet
isn't plugged up with scale.
That's the hole under water on the front of the bowl.
I just posted about my experience with that, which was similar to
yours.
A weak vortex is an indicator, but the problem develops slowly enough
that you might notice the vortex is weak.

Pulling and reinstalling a toilet is typically an easy job. One water
connection and 2 bolts to remove, some clean up of the old wax ring
and the "sticking on" of a new one prior to bolting the bowl back
down.

Assuming it's your first time, In and Out shouldn't take more than an
hour, not including putting your tools away afterwards, and that's
working really slow.

Granted, you could run into issues with the shoe or something else,
but that's pretty rare.

Once the toilet is off, you can use a bigger snake or a camera or
maybe even a flashlight, depending on your configuration and the
location of the clog.

Keep this in mind:

The "clog' you think you hit might not even be the clog. There's lots
of tales in this NG about snakes going right past the problem, such as
the time I had a toilet paper roll stuck in the bottom of the toilet.
Liquids and some solids would pass through it - as would the snake -
but it often clogged when paper caught the rim of the roll. *I didn't
find the problem until I pulled the toilet and look into the bottom.

I still keep a spare wax ring in the shop just in case I need to pull
a toilet in an "emergency". Once you've done it, you'll see how easy
it is.

Tip: They usually suggest a sponge or towel to soak up the remaining
water in the tank or bowl, but I always use my shop vac with a small
diameter hose. That gets it almost bone dry.

Good luck!

Couple of points.
Depending on age of toilet and plumbing hardware, you're better being
prepared to replace the stop and line to the tank.
The tank should be removed first, so that's 2 more bolts that might be
too rusty to re-use.
Always do this kind of stuff either having the parts, or when you can
go get them at the hardware store.

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

"The tank should be removed first"

First? Why would you remove the tank at all?