Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Comments on Sketchup

On Sep 16, 3:30*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 9/16/2010 2:06 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

On 9/16/10 2:51 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:12:58 -0500, wrote:

On 9/16/2010 11:29 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

When you -buy- SketchUp, is it a one-time deal, or do you have to buy
each new version, too?

As a Pro version owner (or "renter", depending upon the EULA de jour)
the upgrade price for me from 7 to 8 was $95.00.

The original outlay for the Pro version is circa $495.00.

OK, $500 to join and then roughly $100/yr for updates. Wow.

Can you say business write-off?
See, I knew you could.
:-)

... cheap at ten times the price, and pays for itself multiple times
each and every project.

Money making software when wielded with a modicum of business sense and
without preconceived notions.

The same for the purchase of a tool which will give you capability
others don't have. That allows you to create your own markets. The
whole thing about my investing in computers and software, as far back
as 1986, was to have the capability to show a customer what I was
about to build for them. Prior to that, I used to use Lawson charts
and draw things on a board by hand. Show and tell goes a long way.
Ultimately, there only two justifiable reasons to invest in equipment:
a) It makes you more efficient and there is a ROI which can be
projected.
b) The guy across the street, the one you're competing with, doesn't
have the capability you're about to invest in.