Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Semi on topic LVDT

On 09/16/2010 02:30 PM, Wes wrote:
I had to troubleshoot one of these things today. For some that frequent this list it is
something they likely have run into or wondered about, expecially if they work in
manufacturing.

LVDT Linear Variable Differential Transformer. An interesting measurement device. I had
assumed it was something like an inductosyn but I was mistaken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_...al_transformer is the wiki page
which is okay but after you have read that, go to
http://www.rdpe.com/ex/hiw-lvdt.htm

and watch the animation that makes it clear as a bell.

I learned something today and wanted to share it.

They're nice non-contact sensors. They'll get you down to the point
where you have to start worrying about differential temperatures messing
up your measurements, and arms cocked over by milliradians, and other
really smoky stuff.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services