Eric Anderson

Default Next plane purchase--next 2 plane purchases?

I guess what I am really looking for is a plane that takes shavings
off (for fine tuning) with the same adeptness that my Veritas shoulder
plane does. I think it has the most satisfying "tuning" ability of
any of my planes. Oh, the others take off nice shavings, but the
Veritas shoulder plane adjusts so finely and the shavings look about 3
or 4 thousandths thick. It is real hard to get the others tuned to
that level. I wish I could find a bench plane that would work like
that. I would be using it for general purpose, but also for shooting
and drawer tune-ups.

"Eric Lund" wrote in message om...
"Eric Anderson" wrote in message
om...
Just thought I would ask the rec what they suggest for the next plane
purchase I should consider. I am interested in one or more of the
Veritas planes, but thought I would ask without trying to taint the
discussion with my leanings.

I have a
Millers Falls 714 jack plane
Old Stanley Block plane
Stanley #6 fore plane
Stanley Defiance smoother
Craftsman 107.37034 smoother
Veritas medium shoulder
Veritas scraper plane
Veritas cabinet scraper

All of them are tuned up and work pretty well. I really like the
Millers Falls Buck Rogers jack plane and the Craftsman is not too bad
either. The shoulder plane is a real gem. Could not do without it.
I have not gotten adept with the scraper plane yet, but the cabinet
scraper has been a REAL nice addition.

Are you just collecting planes, or do you have a project in mind? If so,
what plane do you need for that project. That will answer your question.

Cheers,
Eric