Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Comments on Sketchup

I have worked in the CAD software business for 20 years at my real job
and have expertise in and have worked for some of the biggest CAD
companies in this industry. Sketchup is by far the best at what it
does. However, it is not really production CAD and especially as it
relates to making drawings. I can create models in many of the most
expensive 3D modelers and I prefer to use Sketchup for my own home
work. However, I also use AutoCAD to make all my 2D drawings. I re-
draw every part, measured from the Sketchup drawing. I believe I could
save directly to AutoCAD from Pro Sketchup but I just use free version
and can likely draw 2D faster in AutoCAD than the copy process would
take.

The Pro version indeed addresses these issues with "Layout".

However, I too have used various 2D CAD programs down through the years
(SU is not really "CAD" per se, it is 3D modeling software), and indeed
find the SU/Layout combination a bit more fussy when doing a full blown
set of _2D_ construction drawings ... although I have done just that as
recently as last year for a house I completed last year.

I think that is probably more of a lack of operator proficiency on my
part with Layout, as it is indeed another learning curve and I don't use
it on a daily basis.

All said and done however, SU has been more than worth that bit of fuss
for the _3D_ side of things.

... what you make on the banana's, you lose on the oranges.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010