J Pagona aka Y.B.

Default Next plane purchase--next 2 plane purchases?

From: (Eric Anderson)

Router plane? Hmmm. Guess I would need to have some
use examples for the unusual examples.

Side rabbets are used to take shavings from the side of a groove or dado. For
example, if the groove for the drawer bottom is a little tight, a few passes
with the side rabbet will take care of it.

A router plane is used to create an inset flat surface. They're useful for
things like halflap joints and inlays.

Scrub planes remove a lot of wood quickly, and leave a semi rough surface that
is then cleaned up with the jack, jointer and/or smoother. I own an electric
planer but not a joiner. I use a scrub plane to remove any twist or bow from
one side of a piece of wood before I send it through the planer. Using the
flat side as the refference side allows me to get the other side flat. Then I
can flip it over to plane out the scrub marks on the original flat side.

What are you wanting to plane on the drawers? Lots of people use jacks or
smoothers with shooting boards. If you're shooting the endgrain, consider a
low angle plane. A low angle block plane will work for light shooting and many
other functions. LN makes a miter plane, which is designed specifically for
use with a shooting board. Nice, low angle and very heavy, but very pricy.

David

remove the key to email me.